Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow (or whatever name you call it) can be fair trade! Elevate this cereal-centered classic by switching to fair trade ingredients. It’s finger-lickin’ good! The recipe is easy, quick to whip up, keeps well, and is a perfect snack for little hands. We used Graham Crunch cereal from Cascadian Farm, made with certified fair trade ingredients. We loved the dimension of flavor from this cereal! Divide up a batch into baggies or jars to share; ours looks picture-perfect in these wooden bowls. With each sweet bite of Fair Trade Muddy Buddies, you’re on your way to changing the world for the better.
And remember, always look for fair trade labels while shopping at your local grocery store. You might be surprised at what you find!
Fair Trade Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Cascadian Farm Organic Fair Trade Cereal (Graham Crunch, Cinnamon Crunch, or a combination)
- 1 cup crushed Theo Chocolate (we used 70% Dark with Sea Salt)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon fair trade cinnamon, if using Graham Crunch cereal
- 1 teaspoon fair trade vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups fair trade powdered sugar
- Measure cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a 1-quart microwave-safe dish, combine chocolate, peanut butter, and butter or margarine and heat uncovered on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture is smooth. Stir in cinnamon and vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage bag.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar into the bag. Seal and shake until well coated. Cool on a sheet pan if needed, or enjoy a handful right away! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.