“Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.” –Robert F. Kennedy
Human trafficking is modern slavery. In January, we commemorate National Human Trafficking Awareness Day to advocate for the vulnerable among us.
Did you know?
- There are 40+ million trafficking victims across the globe.
- Human trafficking generates $150 billion annually.
- 1 in 4 victims of modern slavery is a child.
* Source: International Justice Mission
Oppressors believe that money is more important than a person’s life. They prey on weakness. What if you thought this was your only choice to provide for your family?
Many fair trade organizations are set up in countries where trafficking is rampant. They provide opportunity and a better way of earning a living. Peoples’ lives should be valued, not taken advantage of. Fair trade is a relationship based on mutual respect; it stands against forced labor and child labor.
Fair trade organizations employ many kinds of people—some have never had a job before and would like to provide for their family. Perhaps they inherited a skill from their parents and grandparents and need the support to carry on the tradition. Many were victims of trafficking, and working in a fair trade workshop or in a fair trade factory is a path toward a bright future. Beyond living wages and consistent work, producers are guaranteed a rewarding job in a safe environment. Organizations equip women and girls with the tools to establish independence and follow their dreams.
What can you do?
- Use your purchasing power! Always choosing to shop fair trade fights trafficking. In honor of Human Trafficking Awareness Day, we are From January 18-20, 2020, Fair Trade Winds + Momentum will donate 10% of sales in our stores and online to International Justice Mission, a nonprofit that works to rescue and restore trafficking victims all over the world. They bring criminals to justice and strengthen the justice systems to prevent trafficking from happening in the first place.
- Join the fight to stop trafficking. Find an agency near you that helps women and children at risk and see how you can volunteer, like Reintegra in Boulder, Restore in NYC, BEST in Seattle, YouthSpark in Atlanta, CAST in Los Angeles, and Polaris in Washington, D.C. You can also bring awareness to your community by hosting an anti-trafficking sale in your community! We provide the products; you keep 10% of sales to donate. Learn more here.
- Learn the signs of trafficking. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has a helpful list of indicators.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Anti-Trafficking hotline at Polaris: 1-888-373-7888 or text “help” to BeFree (222733).
Each fair trade purchase provides that “tiny ripple of hope” for so many. Fair trade uplifts people’s strengths, uplifts the human spirit, and gives courage to face the future.